Saturday, May 17, 2008

Giraff?!?

Last night we headed up to Babies R Us to finish up our registry (just what every guy wants to do on a friday night after a long week). We picked out a crib, and headed for the bedding section. We decided we wanted a zoo theme, but there were three different bedding sets with a zoo theme!

So, we were roaming around looking at them, when I noticed one of the bumpers had an enormous mispelling! For all of you non-new parents out there, a bumper is a thing that goes along the sides of the inside of the crib. Kind of like the bumpers when you go bowling that keep the ball from ending up in the gutter. I guess these are designed to prevent your baby from rolling into the gutter?!? Here's what one looks like:So we were looking at this one in a crib, when I notice that on the bumper they spelled giraffe without the e? Just "giraff." Yeah, that's just what I want.....my precious baby growing up next to mispelled words! I can already see it.....my baby boy (or girl) standing up in front of their entire elementary school in the finals of the spelling bee:

"Johnny, please spell giraffe." And Johnny thinks to himself "YES! This was the first word I ever learned how to spell because I woke up next to it every morning! G-I-R-A-F-F!" And the judge says, "I'm sorry Johnny, but you are now doomed to a life of misery for missing the E on the end" as the kindergartener yells from the back of the gymnasium "Idiot, how could you forget the E?!" I'll be darned if I let my child go through this!

Now maybe this was a return or something and the last letter just fell off? Needless to say, we didn't go for that set.

Here's a picture of the set we decided on:


To me this looks more like a boys set, so here's to hoping for a boy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Giraff... reminds me of how I used to leave the end of words off. When I saw birds, I would shout, "Bir! Bir!" and my mom would correct me, saying, "No, it's Bir-duh" (emphasizing the D). Apparently one day I saw a bird and said, "BirDuh!"
Now your kid will be able to spell the final word in the spelling bee, Zanzibar....