Thursday, August 21, 2008

Visit to L & D

So we had a scary start to the week.
Sunday night we were out running errands and I had braxton hicks contractions. I told Dave and we just hung out Sunday night doing a whole lot of nothing.
So I got up Monday morning for work (1am) feeling okay, when I got there I ate my breakfast and started my day. Around 2:50a I started having more bh contractions. This time they were much worse so bad that they made me sick. Afterwards I felt much better so I decided to stick it out. By the end of my shift I had one more set of contractions, so I decided to call the doctor.

The nurse on duty was not very happy that I had waited so long to call, and I got a little scolding, which upset me. She told me to head to labor and delivery and get checked out. Dave was back at school on Monday for staff meetings but thankfully was able to leave, we met at the house and headed straight to the hospital.
They hooked me up to the fetal monitors right away, to check on the baby who looked great. I peed in a cup to make sure it wasn't a urinary tract infection, a common reason to get bh. That came back negative so we had to wait about an hour for the doctor on call who was in surgery.

When the doc and nurse finally came back they started to get set up for the exam when someone else went into labor and they had to leave again. Another 45 minutes later they were back. They did a test that can tell if you are going to deliver in the next 14 days. Thankfully it was negative, plus the doc said my cervix was closed, and high so she called my ob and decided I could go home. The doc couldn't really figure out what caused the contractions, could be too much activity, not enough fluids, or even a 24 hour bug. She did put me on restricted activity, no more walks, more fluids and lots of rest. I do have a regular appointment on Monday with my ob so maybe she'll lift the restrictions.
In the meantime I go to work and watch a lot of Olympics!

2 comments:

Linda and Matthew said...

I think you forgot to mention the part where David couldn't figure out what floor of the hospital L&D was on. Good thing he went on the hospital tour! ;)

Glad everything is ok!

David said...

Haha, wait, she forgot too!!!! We went to the 6th floor, then the 5th floor, then the 4th floor. When none of those were it, we decided to go back down to the lobby.

It turns out labor and delivery is on the 3rd floor!

Now we know for when it counts!